RE: Filling the docstring generated by define-minor-mode

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Filling the docstring generated by define-minor-mode
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2019 11:24:21 -0700 (PDT)

(Caveat: Haven't been following this thread.)

> > FWIW, I've usually fixed those problems by rewriting the string
> > so as to make sure the %s is on a "short line".
>
> Fair enough, but the whole docstring, not just the part in
> easymode--arg-docstring, undergoes variable substitution.
>
> For example, in this fragment
>
> "Non-nil if %s is enabled.
> See the `%s' command
> for a description of this minor mode."
>
> it's difficult to reformat it so it looks good with either very short
> or very long mode names.

 Non-nil if you have enabled
 %s.

 For a description of this minor mode see command
 `%s'.

Maybe more than such a change is needed.  I don't
know what gets substituted for %s here.

Anyway, put me in the camp that thinks that the
solution is manually rewriting the doc string.
Blindly filling such stuff automatically asks for
trouble, IMO.