Re: Gnus nnir patch for Emacs 26?

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Gnus nnir patch for Emacs 26?
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2019 15:20:52 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden>
>> Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2019 14:46:14 -0700
>>
>> Someone recently reported a bug in Gnus for searching IMAP groups when
>> the group has a non-ascii name. The bug has been there a while, at least
>> as far back as Emacs 26. I've attached the diff, which looks large only
>> because of indentation changes, it boils down to adding the line:
>>
>> (setq group (nnimap-decode-gnus-group group))
>
> I didn't understand that this change fixes the problem, the last
> message still indicated the patch didn't resolve it.  Did you continue
> discussing off-list or something?  If not, how do you know the fix is
> complete?

Yes, Dieter wrote off-list (I think by accident) right afterwards to say
he'd been mistaken and the fix worked. I was also able to reproduce the
bug and confirm the fix.

>> Is it too late/too intrusive for Emacs 26? This is the first time
>> anyone's reported the bug, so it's obviously not super pressing. Another
>> odd thing is that this fix will be unnecessary once the
>> scratch/gnus-decoded branch lands, so this change shouldn't go into
>> master, but I gather that's possible with a dontmerge cookie or
>> something.
>
> If this patch indeed fixes the problem, it's okay for emacs-26, but
> please only add that one line, don't reindent anything and don't
> replace lambda with its fancier equivalent.  Just the minimal required
> change.

Here's a proper commit with a simpler-looking version that doesn't
re-indent everything. I've done before-and-after tests and this works
just the same. I've also added a do not merge thing following Robert's
pointer.

How's it look?