Re: Supported platforms

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Supported platforms
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2019 09:42:04 +0300

> From: Daniele Nicolodi <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2019 14:42:32 -0600
>
> is there anywhere a list of the platforms (operating system and
> architecture) supported by Emacs?

I don't think there are innate limitations.  Any platform that
supports running a Posix shell, GNU Make, a C99-compliant C compiler,
and a standard C library, will do.

Is there some specific question that you are interested in, or a
specific platform?  And also, what version of Emacs are we talking
about?  Versions before 27 could have problems in the dumping process.

> I found etc/MACHINES in the Emacs sources, but it does not seem to
> contain an exhaustive list.

etc/MACHINES was relevant when Emacs included a special header file
for every platform it supported.  That system was tossed long ago, so
I don't think an exhaustive list is possible anymore, although in
principle such a list could be composed for a given time instance.
Even if prepared, such a list will quickly become outdated, as new
systems are created and old go into oblivion.