Re: A target that's even more bootstrap?

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: A target that's even more bootstrap?
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2019 13:53:02 +0100

Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden> writes:

> Unless I'm reading the makefile wrong, there's no target there to say
> "remove all compiler artefacts and then recompile"?
>
> There's bootstrap-clean and extraclean, but if you run those, "make" no
> longer works and you have to use "sh autogen.sh; ./configure"
> manually...  (And if you run bootstrap-clean/extraclean in the wrong
> order, you're left with a lot of non-cleaned-up files, so it's rather
> confusing.)
>
> Would it be an idea to have a target like "full-bootstrap" that does
> these things for you in the correct order?

Perhaps it is worth considering the opposite approach. Currently, we
have

mostlyclean
clean
distclean
maintainer-clean
extraclean
bootstrap-clean

The the irregular hyphenation is a bit odd. But, in addition, I would
guess that many of these levels (maintainer-clean, extraclean and
bootstrap-clean) are really only there to save time; with parallel
builds and faster machines I wonder how many of these are actually
needed.

If I understand it, distclean is most severe. So, why not ditch
everything other than distclean and clean?

Phil