Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 58a3c54: Avoid using string-make-unibyte in sel

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 58a3c54: Avoid using string-make-unibyte in select.el
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2019 16:42:27 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2019 09:26:38 -0400
>
> > +            (or (null (multibyte-string-p str))
> > +                (setq str (encode-coding-string 'raw-text-unix str))))
>
> Isn't this the same as (setq str (string-to-unibyte str))?

No, because the former doesn't signal an error.  (And I didn't want to
use any of those string-to/as-uni/multibyte functions anyway.)

The only thing we are supposed to do in the multibyte case is to make
sure the raw bytes are converted to their single-byte representation,
which is exactly what raw-text-unix does.