Re: Dependency graph for Emacs Lisp files

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Dependency graph for Emacs Lisp files
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2019 11:27:49 -0400

> But are cycles a problem?  You just delete all the .elc files in the
> cycle and then stop.

That's only if you want to do it yourself: instead I want GNU Make to do
the job of traversing the dependencies.

>> For (2), I think a better option is to generate the dependencies as
>> a side-effect of compilation using after-load-functions: we should be
>> able to collect reliably all the dependencies this way, regardless of
>> how the files get loaded.
>
> Hm...  interesting.  That makes me wonder whether the same thing could
> be used to collect the requires, too?

This would work "regardless of how the files get loaded", so of course
it would handle `require`s as well.

> Speaking of excessive recompilation, it seems like all the .c files are
> recompiled just about whenever anybody does something trivial in a .h
> file, but I guess that's unavoidable.  (I get the feeling that every day
> when I do a "git pull" I get a full recompilation of the C bits in
> Emacs, and then a couple of .el files, but perhaps that's not completely
> accurate.)

That's about right: we have a few .h files that are often changed and that
are included in many/most other files.  E.g. globals.h, config.h, and
lisp.h are probably the main culprits.  Not sure how to improve
the situation.

        Stefan