Re: Extra files in fountain-mode ELPA package

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Extra files in fountain-mode ELPA package
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2019 08:03:02 -0400

> Just a heads up, I've added an extra directory called docs in the
> fountain-mode ELPA external package, which will eventually have Info
> documentation, but for now only builds a rudimentary website via GitHub
> pages. I'm not sure how ELPA builds packages compared to MELPA and if this
> means the directory needs to be excluded or something... hence this email.

ELPA doesn't "do" anything (it's just a protocol), but as for GNU ELPA
it builds packages in a fairly simplistic way.  Given the current state
of fountain-mode, it should ignore the `docs` subdirectory because it
will decide that fountain-mode is a "simple" package based on the fact
that there's only one .el file (in that case, the package is made of
that .el file and nothing else).

If you want to include more than that single file, you'll probably want
to set `Package-Type: multi` in the pseudo-headers.

And if instead you want to prevent the `docs` from appearing in the
tarball (say, because you added a second .el file), then you can use
a `.elpaignore` file to say so (see the elpa.git/README file for more
details).

        Stefan