Re: Preloading seq.el

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Preloading seq.el
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2019 17:15:27 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> I was talking about using seq/cl-lib in the parts of Emacs that's dumped
>> (like help.el), which is currently not allowed, because that would
>> require preloading seq/cl-lib.
>
> I'm probably missing something, because I don't understand how using
> SOMETHING.el from a preloaded code would necessarily requore
> preloading SOMETHING.el as well.  Isn't autoloading working?

Oh, I didn't think slapping ;;;###autoload cookies on all the functions
in seq/cl-lib was on the table, but if it is, that's a solution, too.

By the way, I summed up the size of the .elc files loadup.el today does,
and it's over 3MB.  seq/cl-lib.elc is 56KB.  So we're talking about
preloading less than 2% more .elc code.  And there's 242 .el files that
require seq/cl-lib, so I think it's unlikely that many users don't end
up with loading seq/cl-lib, anyway, no matter what they do beyond
starting "emacs -Q".

(And about the same number that does `eval-when-require' on those, but
that's a different story...)