Re: [Emacs-diffs] master a4144af 1/2: Prefer ~/.config/emacs to ~/.emacs

From: Yuri D'Elia
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master a4144af 1/2: Prefer ~/.config/emacs to ~/.emacs.d if neither exists
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2019 16:20:38 +0200

On Fri, Aug 30 2019, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> We never discussed such a change, and I'm not sure I personally agree
> with it.  XDG and its ~/.config directory is just one convention; why
> should we go after it by default, when there's no XDG setup visible
> anywhere in sight?  Why should we force this convention on platforms
> other than GNU/Linux?  That doesn't sound right to me.

I'd like to point out that this change also doesn't really work as
intended.

My expectation is that if ~/.config/emacs exists, it should be preferred
as it marks a clear indication that the user wants this path.

I'm fully ambivalent about the default if none exists.

Since I'd really like to follow XDG, I tried to move everything to
~/.config/emacs, but ~/.emacs.d is still created early during startup
anyway. This causes user-emacs-directory to be set to ~/.emacs.d. Even
manually setting user-emacs-directory in early-init doesn't prevent the
directory being created.