[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Tabs

From: Elias Mårtenson
Subject: Re: Tabs
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2019 18:11:36 +0800

On Mon, 2 Sep 2019 at 08:41, Stefan Kangas <address@hidden> wrote:

(FWIW, I find the names tab-bar-mode and global-tab-line-mode
confusingly similar.  Could we find better and more descriptive names?
 For example, global-tab-line-mode could be global-buffer-tab-mode.)

This may be the very definition of a bikeshedding comment, but I do feel the need ask the question:

Is it truly wise to have the word “tab” as part of the name of this feature? The word “tab” (when not referring to codepoint U+0009 CHARACTER TABULATION) usually refers to the specific visual indication that resembles a row of tabs in old filing cabinets. The feature itself doesn't really have that much to do with tabs of either kind.

I'm raising this because I initially had no idea what this was about (thinking it referred to U+0009) and even after figuring it out, I'm still confused by the names of the functions and modes.

A term that uniquely describes the actual feature would be very helpful in reducing confusion. Especially among people who have never heard about the functionality before.


reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]