Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 29d1c72: Introduce new value t for compilation-

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 29d1c72: Introduce new value t for compilation-context-lines to eliminate scrolling
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2019 19:34:05 +0000

Hello, Eli.

On Sat, Aug 31, 2019 at 14:06:30 +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2019 10:53:16 +0000
> > From: Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden>
> > Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden

> > > The subsection describing the display margins is part of the section
> > > which documents the 'display' properties in general, so I think it's
> > > in a correct and logical place.

> > > Where would you expect it to be mentioned, not to be "buried"?

> > Maybe on the page "Emacs Display", rather than the current menu point:

> >     * Display Property      Enabling special display features.

> > , something like:

> >     * Display Property      Images, margins, text size, etc.

> > might be more helpful.

> We could perhaps mention it in some higher-level section, but moving
> this subsection up two levels is too much, I think.

What I've proposed is purely changing the caption on the menu point, not
moving any section text.

I think that the text "Enabling special display features" is
frustratingly vague, repetitive and uninformative.  "Images, margins,
text size, etc.", by contrast, gives the reader reason to follow the menu
point.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).