Re: PATCH: isearch-yank-until-char

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: PATCH: isearch-yank-until-char
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2019 11:47:20 -0500

I was about to finally commit the latest patch [1] and realized I wasn't sure
whether to commit it on master or on the emacs-26 branch.

According to the CONTRIBUTE file (at least as I read it) a change like this
should go on master.  However, I've been surprised in the past to be informed
that a given change should go on the current release branch instead of on
master -- I believe that's happened even with non-bugfix-but-still-small
changes such as this one.  And I saw from Eli's recent post that emacs-26 is
open again.

So, just checking: I should put this on master, right?

By the way, Drew, regarding your point:

>Very interesting.  That helps, especially the part
>about its use in keyboard macros.  That use case might
>even be worth pointing out in the doc.  Thx.

I've been pondering whether that would be overly prescriptive or not... It
might indeed be worth an extra sentence in the new documentation, and I may
adjust the patch accordingly.

Best regards,
-Karl

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2019-08/msg00522.html