Re: Changes in GC and in pure space

From: Angelo Graziosi
Subject: Re: Changes in GC and in pure space
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2019 00:58:40 +0200 (CEST)

Eli Zaretskii wrote

> If some platforms don't support it, and these macros
> become non-inline functions, those platforms will be punished by this
> kind of changes
>
> [...] But that's me.

Me too!

When I was a kid I was taught that macros are preferable to functions if these
are short, don't use loop etc., and this to save on the cost of the function
call.. also old FORTRAN has 'statement functions'. If I remember correctly,
even if language as C++ has 'inline' statement, this does not mean that the
function will be really 'inlined', is the compiler that decide about the fate
of functions declared 'inline'..

Maybe all I learned from Borland manuals was wrong... and all programs I wrote
up to 2004 have to be rewritten..... Gulp!