Re: change pcomplete/make to include targets in included files

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: change pcomplete/make to include targets in included files
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2019 15:03:09 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> +*** By default, `pcomplete/make' now includes targets in included
>> +files, recursively.  To recover the previous behavior, set new user
>> +option `pcmpl-gnu-makefile-includes' to nil.
>
> It is best to have the first line of a NEWS entry a complete sentence,
> and leave the details for the body.  (Think of a user who reads NEWS
> in Outline mode).  In this case, I'd rephrase the first sentence like
> this:
>
>   'pcomplete/make' now completes on targets in included files, recursively.
>
> That this is the default is clear from the rest of the text.
>
> Also note that nowadays we prefer to quote 'like this' in NEWS and
> other plain-text documentation, not `like this'.

Done.

> Finally, if you think this feature is worth mentioning in the manual,
> please add a patch for the manual and mark the NEWS entry with "+++";
> and if you think this feature is too obscure to be in the manual,
> please mark the NEWS entry with "---".

I could not find a "pcomplete" section in the manual. So I will mark
this with ---

>> +(defcustom pcmpl-gnu-makefile-includes t
>> +  "If non-nil, `pcomplete/make' includes targets in included files."
>
> I find the "includes" part here confusing.  Don't you want to say that
> completion candidates will include such targets?

I adapted the "completes on targets" language from the above NEWS entry.

>> +(defun pcmpl-gnu-make-targets ()
>> +  "Return a list of make targets in the current buffer."
>
> I'd say "makefile targets" here.  If nothing else, it avoids a
> sentence with confusing ambiguity ("make" is also a word that has
> other meanings).

Done.

>> +(defun pcmpl-gnu-make-includes ()
>> +  "Return a list of all 'include' file names in the current buffer."
>
> Why do we need to quote 'include' here?

"include" is the 'make' keyword; when I started this, I quoted it
everywhere. But then I decided "included files" was better, but missed
this one.

>> +(defun pcmpl-gnu-make-all-targets (makefile)
>> +  "Return a list of target names in MAKEFILE and all included files."
>
>   "Return the list of target names in MAKEFILE and in all files it
>   includes."

Done.

I'll wait for more comments to post a new patch.

--
-- Stephe