Re: fix for bug#34330 breaks makefile target complete in `compile' promp

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: fix for bug#34330 breaks makefile target complete in `compile' prompt
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2019 08:50:08 -0400

> It's not clear from this if "applicable" means "there are actual
> completions", but it appears that it should.

No.  The idea rather is to decide on the completion-table to use only
based on *where* we are.  You can't easily know whether there are
any completions (because it depends on completion-styles).

Maybe we should remove comint-filename-completion from the list of
completion functions and rely on pcomplete-default-completion-function
for that instead?

Or maybe shell-dynamic-complete-functions should not do like
completion-at-point-functions and should run all its functions (without
stopping at the first non-nil answer) and then combine them using
completion-table-in-turn?

        Stefan