Re: Improve reporting of I/O, access errors for Emacs

From: Richard Copley
Subject: Re: Improve reporting of I/O, access errors for Emacs
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2019 12:07:09 +0100

On Thu, 12 Sep 2019 at 09:23, Paul Eggert <address@hidden> wrote:

A half-dozen or so of the issues I found had simpler fixes, which I've already
installed into master.

Hi Paul,

At the end of init_callproc in callproc.c, we check that PATH_GAME is file_accessible_directory_p. On Windows, PATH_GAME begins with a literal '%emacs_dir%', so this never works, but sets errno to ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED. Therefore, on every invocation of Emacs, I get this warning:

  Warning: game dir '%emacs_dir%/var/games/emacs': Permission denied

Passing PATH_GAME through w32_relocate first makes it try the correct filename (in my environment that's "c:\projects\emacs/var/games/emacs" uninstalled or "c:\msys64\mingw64/var/games/emacs" installed). Those directories don't exist and this still sets errno to ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED on Windows. Whether or not the relocation bug gets fixed, you should probably silently ignore ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED (treat it as ENOENT) there, on Windows. (In my local copy of the repo, I've just replaced that whole block with "Vshared_game_score_directory = Qnil", since that's what I'll end up with, whatever happens.)