Re: A project-files implementation for Git projects

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: A project-files implementation for Git projects
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2019 18:25:45 +0300

> Cc: address@hidden
> From: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2019 06:36:55 +0300
>
> Should we sacrifice some correctness for speed?

No, but it was never my intent to say otherwise.  What is "correct"
here?  E.g., 'find' will find _all_ the files, including the ignored
one -- is that "correct"?

> If backends other than Git (and maybe Hg) can't return untracked
> files

Which backend cannot do that?  Bzr can (you just need to call it
twice), and the other two also can.  So I think we have no problem
here.

> We could make up some performance using filenotify and caching, so that
> 'find', though slower, would at least be called infrequently.

That's over-engineering, I think.