Severe regressions in context of keyboard macros

From: Christoph Arenz
Subject: Severe regressions in context of keyboard macros
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2019 10:17:17 +0200

I think I have found two regressions that were introduced some time ago by commit 30a6b1f81412044a, affecting keyboard macros. One is severely affecting calc to the point of leading to completely wrong results -- if not stopped by an error first. The other is affecting how dribble writes out recorded keys.

Calc:
I stumbled across the following bug using calc -- see also https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=37057:
90 <RET> S <f3> I S <f4>
This calculates the sine and inverse sine of 90 -- with a result of 90.
It also records "IS" as a keyboard macro.
Now, let's use the macro to complete the same calculation:
90 <RET> S <f4>
This worked until emacs-24.5 but is broken since emacs-25.1 where "ISS" is recorded as a keyboard macro -- now leading to a result of 1.

It seems all macros that involve calc's prefix keys (e.g. "I" or "H") have the following key recorded twice in last-kbd-macro. E.g. "IHP" is recorded as "IHHPP", pushing GAMMA and PI on the stack instead of one constant, namely PHI.

Hopefully, the calculation breaks due to an error -- otherwise, you get nonsense results which might be hard to debug, if noticed at all.

Dribble:
According to the documentation in open-dribble-file, this starts 'writing all keyboard characters to a dribble file'.
However, the keys being recorded changed with commit 30a6b1f81412044a when a keyboard macro is involved.

Prior, the key "<f4>" was recorded when a macro was replayed. With the patch, the recording contains "<f4>" and additionally all characters that were replayed by the macro. This gets ugly quickly, e.g. when <f3> was used in the macro to insert a counter.

I am not suggesting that reverting commit 30a6b1f81412044a is the final and right solution, but it does resolve the two issues in calc and dribble in emacs-26.3. I stumbled across the mail thread https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2015-08/msg00193.html where there were some doubts whether the quick fix could break something else.

Keyboard.c seems highly complex and magic to me. I first thought that sit-for in subr.el might have something to do with it as it has fixme comments mentioning unread-command-events. Just a wild guess...