Re: More useful mode help?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: More useful mode help?
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2019 12:28:31 +0300

> From: ndame <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2019 10:57:49 +0200 (CEST)
>
> The first thing in the mode help:
>
>   Enabled minor modes: Abbrev Auto-Composition Auto-Compression
>   Auto-Encryption Auto-Insert Blink-Cursor Column-Number
>   Delete-Selection Diff-Auto-Refine Electric-Indent Electric-Pair
>   File-Name-Shadow Font-Lock Global-Aggressive-Indent Global-Eldoc
>   Global-Font-Lock Iswitchb Line-Number Minibuffer-Depth-Indicate
>   Mouse-Wheel Recentf Save-Place Savehist Shell-Dirtrack Tooltip
>   Transient-Mark Winner
>
> Is there a reason why this comes first?

So that users could know, without reading all of the process-menu-mode
description, that the other minor modes are described below, and could
also jump there if that is what they want.

> Doesn't seem too relevant if
> the user simply wants to find out about how to use the current mode.

Yours is just one of the possible use cases we want to support; there
are others, where the exact opposite is true.

The beginning of the process-menu-mode's key bindings is actually
visible in the buffer that pops up, so I don't see a problem with the
preamble, it doesn't cause the text you wanted to see to become
obscured.

> Then comes the process description mentioning which hook run. Still
> not very useful if one wants to simply use the mode.

Again, that's just one of the use cases.  Mode hooks is something
people want to know about frequently, because that lets them customize
the mode.

> As you can see the single process binding is in the middle and it's d.

I hope you now understand why we arranged the information as we did.