Re: Using images in tabs

From: Alan Third
Subject: Re: Using images in tabs
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2019 19:44:36 +0100

On Thu, Sep 19, 2019 at 03:47:12PM +0200, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Meanwhile I tried to scale svg, and the result is not great.
> > Scaling up makes the image blurred, and scaling down makes the
> > image smeared.
>
> Emacs calls the svg library which generates a bunch of pixels that we
> then tell X (or whatever) to scale.  This is always going to be blurry.
>
> Instead if you want to scale svg properly, you have to give a :scaling
> of 1 (and not :max-width etc) and then somehow instruct the svg library
> to render it at whatever size you want to.  Perhaps altering the XML is
> the easiest...

Librsvg appears to be designed to use Cairo to do any resizing for it.
IIRC librsvg does provide a way to change the DPI, but it’s
deprecated.

I’m curious if it would be possible to use Cairo in a toolkit
independent way to resize and render SVG files. The alternative, I
suppose, would be to find a different SVG library.
--
Alan Third