Re: Lightweight, C-only implementation of Emacs

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: Lightweight, C-only implementation of Emacs
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2019 17:01:46 +0200

Sorry for necrobumping this thread, but after some time I have
discovered Qemacs and tried for a while (a week).

https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/qemacs

I need to say that it is a more functional C-only alternative to emacs
because unlike zile:

- Does not depend of gnulib, gc, or external non-standard libraries or
 emacs itself. (zile needs emacs to run the tests)
- Not even a complex autotools file is needed. (gnulib integration is
 very hard and for some reason they don't support anything else than
 autotools... which sometimes is too complex for small projects and
 limits integration with other tools like CMake and enforces the use
 and knowledge of autotools/autoconf and so on)
- It have syntax-highlight for some of the common languages like
 C/Rust/swift/perl and others.
- It has search candidates highlight.
- It seems to be very modular to implement modules and languages modes
 (In C of course).
- It has some simple support for org-mode
- Allows vertical splits not only horizontal.
- It has gui and tui interfaces (with -nw as usual, zile does not have
- gui version)
- Multiplatform support (win32 included, and specialization for some
 terminals like xterm and so on.)
- Provides and API to create plugins in C without recompiling the
 editor, as it loads .so files.
- No garbage collection is needed.
- Line numbers functionality supported.
- utf-8 support and bidirectional editing.

I should say that I added some primitive support for linum, colors, fill
column-indicator and mouse interaction to zile in my personal fork on
github... but couldn't ever commit it as I never got a reply to join to
the project. So I freely added some non-gnu changes like migrate it to
CMake But if anyone is interested:

https://github.com/Ergus/Zile

Limitations:

- No lisp machine at all (configuration is in a file with a C-like
 syntax) which from some points of view is not a limitation. (
 performance, no gc, no C-to-lisp code api needed, no
 byte-compiler/lisp interpreter to maintain)
- Extensibility is more complex as it requires compiling the plugin.
- Have had only 2 contributors in it's history, which is good because
 all the code is very organized and standard. So there is not community
 there. (but actually is the same with Zile)
- Still developed with CVS, I asket to move it to git... but who knows
 if I even get a reply.
- It is in savannah but it is a nongnu project.
- The documentation is very simple... maybe too short.

Hope this helps.