Re: Install C source code for for debugging help

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Install C source code for for debugging help
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2019 16:56:53 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2019 09:48:57 -0400
>
> > What other GNU project installs sources, let alone by default?
> > Why should Emacs be different?
>
> Because Emacs provides buttons to jump straight to the source.

Then how about an alternative change, whereby we do not show these
buttons when the sources cannot be found?

> I think it is an important feature of Emacs that the source code is
> always within easy reach.  I feel it makes it "Freer": we don't just
> allow the users to have access to the source, we even encourage them to
> dig into it.

I feel it's a tail wagging the dog.  Both you and my (and others on
this list) have the sources installed, so we are all inherently skewed
in our judgment of this.  To see whether this is a useful feature,
we'd need a real user poll.