Re: Image-conversion shims

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Image-conversion shims
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2019 17:05:27 -0400

> I think our long-term plan is to obsolete the ImageMagick support
> completely, because ImageMagick has some security issues.

Indeed (security issues and a lack of maintenance, AFAIK).

> So I wonder whether a way to speed up the transition to an
> ImageMagick-less future would be to have a small package that would
> convert "transparently" from formats we don't understand to formats we
> do understand.

Sounds good to me.

> The only likely external conversion program is, unfortunately, "convert"
> from ImageMagick,

Really?  ffmpeg can also convert from WebP to PNG, and I suspect there
are many other options for BMP.

> Thoughts?

Go for it.  BTW, I just saw that FLIF is a (usually) better alternative
to WebP, so maybe we should add native support for that ;-)

        Stefan