Re: Imenu and structured documents

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Imenu and structured documents
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2019 18:16:53 -0400

> . 2017
> . . 2017 January
> . . 2017 February

In Imenu, the submenu structure usually doesn't reflect the document
structure, but instead it is just a fixed structure for different
*categories* of entries (e.g. functions-vs-classes-vs-variables), so I'd
expect all the sections and subsections to just be placed within the
same "level".

I use Imenu via the minibuffer (with completion) rather than via mouse
selection in a GUI menu (or via Speedbar).  I'm not sure if it's the
more common way to use Imenu, but it's one where this flat structure
works fairly well.

        Stefan