Re: Escaping a string for substitute-command-keys

From: Clément Pit-Claudel
Subject: Re: Escaping a string for substitute-command-keys
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2019 00:06:43 -0400

On 2019-10-04 10:17, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> help-echo is for displaying documentation, not for displaying
> general-purpose text strings.

Btw, it was surprising to me to see that very little code in Emacs actually
takes advantage of this command-substitution facility in help-echo; most
help-echo strings that mention commands actually hardcode the default binding.

Also related is the fact that help-echo allows kinds of values: strings or
functions.  In Flycheck's case (the one I know the best), it would be enough to
say that help-echo is only passed through substitute-command-keys if it's a
string, but not if it's a function (the reasoning being that it's easy to run
the substitution inside the function, if needed).  Of course, shr and Flymake
would then need to switch to using functions instead of strings, as well.

Clément.