Re: Native line numbers landed on master

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Native line numbers landed on master
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2019 19:30:34 +0300

> From: Robert Pluim <address@hidden>
> Cc: "Yuri D'Elia" <address@hidden>,  Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>,
>   address@hidden,  Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>,
>   address@hidden,  Emacs developers <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2019 10:09:43 +0200

>     Juanma> On Mon, Oct 7, 2019 at 8:54 AM Robert Pluim <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>     >> I thought the convention for C-level variables for Lisp variables was
>     >> to stick a 'V' on the front, but I see Eli didnʼt do that for
>     >> display-line-numbers-widen, so now Iʼm wondering.
>
>     Juanma> I think it's usually not done for native type variables: integer,
> boolean.

That's right.  Only general Lisp objects get called Vsomething.

> I canʼt find any documentation stating that

We have a node about writing Emacs Lisp primitives; a node about Lisp
variables implemented in C still awaits its author.  Patches are
welcome.

> I was thinking of the case where people want a particular value in
> most of their buffers, in which case they'd want a default, which
> they'd then override for a few cases with a mode-hook. I canʼt judge
> how common that would be though.

I tend to think that this will be rare, so I think a simple variable
is good enough at this stage.