Re: Tabs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Tabs
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2019 21:46:56 +0300

> Cc: Ergus <address@hidden>, address@hidden, address@hidden
> From: martin rudalics <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2019 20:12:44 +0200
>
> So the idea was that redisplay eventually will set
> tool_bar_redisplayed after calculating the tool bar height and that
> value is copied to tool_bar_resized to make sure this frame never gets
> resized again when the tool bar changes.  So these resets should
> handle only this initial resize operation and no others.

Ah, so these are one-off flags, and not indications of the resize,
i.e. they are not supposed to be sensitive to, say, when a tool bar
becomes too large for one line and needs two, is that so?

>  > The real motivation for these questions is the problem with
>  > redisplaying the frame when tab-bar is turned on by "C-x 6 f", but
>  > since the tab-bar code was simply copied from the tool-bar code, I
>  > find myself wondering about the latter, and hope you can show me the
>  > light there.
>
> As you mentioned earlier, tab bars are initially off and the tool bar
> is on.  Maybe that's the cause of the problem.

No, I think the cause of the problem is that we have no equivalent of
"C-x 6 f" that turns on the tool bar as a side effect of a command
that displays a buffer.  But that's a guess, because I've just
established with Jimmy's help that even the call to redraw_frame
doesn't cause the expected effect.  Which completely stumps me, and I
need to think about it before I come with more ideas (_if_ I come with
more ideas)...