Re: Customize ‘window-state-get/put’

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Customize ‘window-state-get/put’
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2019 23:58:35 +0300

> After thinking about your suggestion, I start to believe my experiment
> isn’t the best approach (to solve the problem you mentioned above and
> the problem I mentioned about gdb-mi). For your problem, since there are
> tmp buffers that are not in any window, window.el clearly isn’t the
> right place to handle them. I think desktop.el should handle them. And I
> guess that’s what you meant.

Indeed, gdb-mi and desktop could work the same way:

1. before or after calling window-state-get
   save another data structure with buffer names from on all windows
   and information how to restore them;

2. before calling window-state-put create these buffers with the
   saved buffer names, so window-state-put will restore windows with the
   same buffer names.

> I go through each window and replace the buffers in them with
> placeholder buffers and store the buffer type (breakpoint, register,
> etc) in a window parameter.

By placeholder do you mean some default text contents to show when
tmp buffer is not restored?  Something like “tmp buffer was here”.