Re: Dedicated window for *log-edit-files*

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Dedicated window for *log-edit-files*
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2019 22:38:07 +0100

On Fri, Oct 25, 2019, 16:50 Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:
>> [ Yes, non-nil default values for non-preloaded hooks are evil.
>>   I confess to doing it, but I plead insanity.  ]
> Why evil?

Because you can't conveniently add/remove values from it (you either
have to wait for the file to be loaded to do that, or force loading it
eagerly at startup, or completely override the default value with your
own).

Makes sense. I suppose an autoload cookie could do it, but
maybe it's kind of ugly.

We discussed a few times teaching Custom how to modify lists like these
(so what is stored in your config file for this variable is morally
a sort of "diff" rather than the current result of applying the diff).

Yes.  But it wouldn't work for Custom-hat... err... avoiders like me,
right?

Anyway, it's the first time I bump into this problem, so it mustn't
be so terrible.

João