Re: 27.0.50: How can I test a buffer-local window-configuration-change-h

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: 27.0.50: How can I test a buffer-local window-configuration-change-hook in batch mode?
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2019 12:07:52 +0300

> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>, address@hidden
> From: martin rudalics <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2019 09:49:02 +0200
>
>  > The example is actually pretty close to the real use-case.  If so-long
>  > sees a file with very long lines being visited, it (now) only triggers
>  > its mitigations if and when that buffer is first displayed.  So if the
>  > buffer is never displayed then nothing is done.
>
> Eli, do you think that Phil's use case would warrant a special hook
> say 'buffer-first-display-functions' triggered when a buffer's
> display-count changes from 0?  It would be stunningly simple to
> implement that.

Could be.  But why does it have to be related to the first time a
buffer is displayed?  Don't we want to do that when the file is
visited instead?

>  > Without `run-window-configuration-change-hook' I'd have to replicate
>  > some of that functionality myself, and the test would be getting even
>  > further away from the real processes, and therefore becoming less and
>  > less useful as a test.  I'd like to have to fake as little as possible.
>
> Understandable.  Rewriting this in Elisp is no fun.

Per previous messages, rewriting in Lisp is either (a) not necessary,
or (b) will not help even if done.  So I don't think this discussion
concluded that run-window-configuration-change-hook is of any
importance that would justify leaving it in our sources in the long
run.