Re: 27.0.50: How can I test a buffer-local window-configuration-change-h

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: 27.0.50: How can I test a buffer-local window-configuration-change-hook in batch mode?
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2019 17:34:41 +0300

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2019 15:50:37 +0200
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> >> The image will have a GNU/Linux distribution of some kind, and saying
> >> "make xen-tests" (or whatever) will spin up that image, pull down the
> >> code, run the display tests, exit the image and report the results.
> >
> > What would it use as the display terminal?
>
> Xen can open a window on your display, but it can also run without
> displaying anything, I think?  Emacs (inside Xen) just sees a standard X
> display of a given size.

So maybe this will do for one, maybe 2, of the 4 possible display
back-ends.

> > And how will the test suite be able to check the results against some
> > expected results?
>
> We may have to add some new primitives to give more information about
> the glyph matrix back to Lisp land, but I think we already have most of
> what we need.

Information about the glyph matrix is not enough to test the end
results.  Emacs doesn't directly display the glyph matrices.

In any case, if information about the glyph matrices is what we want,
then Xen sounds like a very significant overkill.