Re: BIKESHED: completion faces

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: BIKESHED: completion faces
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2019 00:43:59 +0000

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

> bold in completions-first-difference helps to immediately see the
> next character to type to narrow completions further.

<mild bikeshedding starts>

Yes, but some questions, Juri:

* wouldn't any other face, say "underline", serve the same purpose?

* would you not be equally and efficiently informed of such facts if
  completions-common-part were _more_ prominent and
  completions-first-difference was _less_ prominent?

* In completion styles other than "basic", there are many other
  characters, besides the one marked with completions-first-difference,
  that you type to narrow completion further, right?

>> - underlined (tho I don't like underlined text very much)?
>> - some foreground color?
> For several years I've been using completions-common-part
> inherited from the 'shadow' face, and it works pretty well
> for this purpose.

Do you use mainly the "basic" completion style? I.e. do you customize
"completion-styles"?

Thanks,
João