RE: icalendar.el bug fix patch

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: icalendar.el bug fix patch
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2019 08:55:03 -0800 (PST)

> I don't like the idea of a global variable to alter regexp syntax.

Why not?

> I think that some sort of operator would be better.

It need not be either-or.

> It could be an escape sequence for "any character" or it could
> be a kind of parenthetical grouping which alters the meaning of a
> period inside it.

+1 for the former (escape char).

But having also a variable to control what plain `.'
matches has an additional advantage of letting the
same regexp (using `.') have two different behaviors.

That's particularly helpful interactively, if you
can hit a key to toggle the variable value (so toggle
the behavior of `.').