Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 4449301: * etc/NEWS: Improve documentation of '

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 4449301: * etc/NEWS: Improve documentation of 'package-initialize'.
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2019 12:53:05 -0500

> I started looking into package-enabe-at-startup, and of course the
> above reasoning goes for package-load-list and package-user-dir; that
> is, setting them via customize has no effect.

Yes and no: you can set `package-load-list` and `package-user-dir` in
your .emacs (and/or via customize) in order to affect the place where
packages are later installed and also in order to affect a subsequent
manual package-activate-all.

Currently, this requires setting (setq package-alist nil) by hand to
force reloading the package descriptors, but my hope is that we can
improve this in the future (e.g. with a :setter placed on those vars so
that package-activate-all is called again when they're modified via
custom).

Also, a "late-setting" of `package-load-list` (e.g. when set via
customize) will still work if you use `package-quickstart`.

> Meanwhile, the attached patch makes us not change the value of
> package-enable-at-startup by introducing a new variable.  Any
> comments?

The patch looks OK to me,

        Stefan