Re: BIKESHED: completion faces

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: BIKESHED: completion faces
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2019 18:06:42 -0500

> It seems inevitable to have a different set of faces for different
> completion styles.

But since different styles can be used at different times, because of
a slightly different pattern, I think we should try to avoid it, despite
its being "inevitable".  Also I'm playing with a "multi" completion
style which internally combines the output of several other
completion styles, so it could lead to really odd result if they don't
use the same face-scheme.

>> where `re-builder` would be highlighted with a "trivial common part"
>> whereas `rename-buffer` would be highlighted differently.
>>
>> You might consider it as a feature, of course.  But if not, then we'd
>> have to first look at all the completions to make sure they all have
>> a "trivial common part".
>
> This really looks like a feature - it could help the users
> to see the prefix in the completions list.

Not sure what you mean here.

        Stefan