Re: BIKESHED: completion faces

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: BIKESHED: completion faces
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2019 18:48:03 +0000

On Wed, Nov 6, 2019 at 6:29 PM Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> If you want to make the matched parts prominent by default

I do. As I believe do some other people.

> (and I guess make the first-different character less prominent),

No, I had already given up that part for 'basic'. As you can read
in my latest "renames" patch which affects just 'flex'.

> then you will have to try much harder in order to convince me.  Just saying
> that newbies who come from other editors will want that is not enough.

In the end, this is about UI usability and at least I don't have
the scientific credentials to prove to you that this is more
useful. And I doubt these credentials exist. It's very hard
to prove to you specifically that it is useful intrinsically, even
more so because you are not a regular user of this feature.

So I simply point to the vast ecosystem outside Emacs
where a particular choice has been made for some time
and it has stuck. I do that as an argument of authority,
inherently weaker than other arguments types, but it's the
best one, I think.  If you decide not to consider it, that's fine.

Also, dismissing emacs newcomers expectations is a bad
strategy for this project. But that's an entirely different
discussion.

João Távora