Re: BIKESHED: completion faces

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: BIKESHED: completion faces
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2019 22:42:37 +0200

> Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2019 12:34:26 -0800 (PST)
> From: Drew Adams <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> Completion is not just about choosing a completion
> candidate - at least it _need not_ be only about
> that. It's also about exploring a set - the set of
> things that match your current input.

Yes, but I don't see how highlighting what exactly matched is of any
help in that case.  Especially with the weirdo matches some aggressive
completion styles produce.  I care about the candidates and about how
to narrow the list, not about how and why the completion picked up
these particular candidates.

> Among other things, knowing what & how your input
> matches can help you adjust it to match different
> sets of candidates.

That's what the "first difference" highlighting solves.

> Icicles highlights matches for your input with
> different faces.  See attached screenshot.

Sorry, I'm unconvinced.  I cannot think of a situation where such
highlighting would help me.