Re: master 1d4862e: Fix English grammar in some doc strings and comments

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: master 1d4862e: Fix English grammar in some doc strings and comments
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2019 14:32:49 -0500

  > True. But in the case discussed, I suspect most native English speakers
  > will find the original sentences more natural, and not ambiguous at all.

You may be right about that.  But many of the people who read our
manual are not native speakers of English.  The ambiguity may take
some work for them to figure out.

(This is why I object when "they" is used for a singular antecedent.
If there is another possible antecedent which is plural, it takes work
to figure out which meaning is intended.)

--
Dr Richard Stallman
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://gnu.org, https://fsf.org)