Re: Fwd: version vs edition numbers in Emacs manuals

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Fwd: version vs edition numbers in Emacs manuals
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2019 14:18:05 +0200

> From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2019 11:32:00 -0800
> Cc: Emacs development discussions <address@hidden>
>
> On 11/10/19 7:26 PM, John Sullivan wrote:
> > maybe the solution could be to have two online
> > versions, one that corresponds to print and is only updated when a new
> > print version is made, and the other is the one that the developers with
> > each release or whenever they feel is appropriate? And that latter
> > version would not have any edition number. We wouldn't have any problem
> > with the primary canonical manual link
> > (https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/emacs.html) being used for
> > the online-only version. What do you think?

I didn't see John's response, not sure why.  Can someone forward it to
me?

> Sounds good. This can be done by Texinfo flags, which are set for the
> printed version and generate an edition number, and are clear for the
> canonical online/info manual and do not generate an edition number. I
> installed the attached patch into the GNU Emacs master to do this. We
> can tweak it as needed later.

Sigh...  John said "WDYT", which assumed discussion, not an immediate
commit...

In any case, I'm not sure John was suggesting that someone will have
to manually type a texi2any command.  I think at the very least we
should have a separate target in the Makefile, and we should maintain
the last printed edition in some separate file, because no one will
remember that otherwise.  Please note that such a command will have
to be run to generate the on-line manual we have on the Web site.

The fact that some manuals use EDITION while others use VERSION also
doesn't make this very clean, IMO.

I'd also like to hear John's opinion about this solution.

Thanks.