Re: master 7362554: Widen around c-font-lock-fontify-region. This fixes

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: master 7362554: Widen around c-font-lock-fontify-region. This fixes bug #38049.
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2019 21:48:24 +0200

On 14.11.2019 21:19, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
So we are going to do such changes in every application that calls
vertical-motion, directly or indirectly?  And what about
posn-at-point, or pos-visible-in-window-p, or any other API that uses
the display code internally? are we going to fix their callers as
well?  That really makes no sense, so I very much hope I somehow
grossly misunderstand what you are suggesting as a fix.

Your objections are on point, of course.

It's not a comprehensive fix, but it should be an improvement anyway (at least for performance).

So you are saying that we should enlarge jit-lock-chunk-size to
most-positive-fixnum?  I don't think so.

No, it's more about the number of calls to font-lock functions. I.e. fontifying line-by-line vs. doing it in a larger block. The size of that block is not so important, as long as it's much bigger than a line.