Re: BIKESHED: completion faces

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: BIKESHED: completion faces
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2019 22:10:36 +0200

>> > I think you are looking at this from the implementation POV.  From
>> > users' POV, an option (or a minor mode) is a better way when we are
>> > talking not just about changing colors and other face attributes, but
>> > about changing behavior in significant ways.  In this case, what is
>> > implemented via faces changes the behavior, because a face prominently
>> > different from the default becomes like the default, and another face
>> > makes the reverse transformation.  Think of this as a binary mode that
>> > makes either the first-difference or the common part prominent:
>> > flipping a variable is an easily understood and easily discovered way
>> > of getting each user the behavior he/she wants.
>>
>> How would that work? Having two faces have different default definitions
>> depending on the value of the variable?
>
> Either that or a function that redefines the face definitions, e.g. by
> aliasing/copying from other faces.

I thought you meant an option/variable or a minor mode for flex style,
so when it's enabled in the *Completions* buffer with flex styles, then
it puts the same face on different parts of the buffer than prefix style,
i.e. the flex style activates this minor mode and it puts bold on common
parts.  Then there is no need to meddle with face definitions.  Isn't it so?