RE: Overlay insertion types, markers, etc.

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Overlay insertion types, markers, etc.
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2019 18:26:39 -0800 (PST)

>   > > The design was by Richard, so he is the only one who might
> remember
>   > > why he didn't go beyond what we have.
>
>   > Ccing Richard, in case he might want to add something.
>
> I have not been following this thread.  What are the changes people
> propose?
>
> It is possible that the answer is simple -- that I didn't see a need
> to do the work to add any other features in that area.  But unless
> I know what is proposed, I can't know the answer.

Thanks for replying.

No changes to anything were proposed.  I asked some
questions, trying to understand the design.  This
is all in the first message of the thread (and the
thread is short).  This the URL of that message:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2019-11/msg00414.html

Eli responded to some of the questions.  I replied
with clarification questions, to understand his
reply.  But essentially everything I'm asking about
is in the initial message.

In summary, these are the questions:

1. Why, if you pass markers [to `make-overlay],
   isn't the default to use the insertion types of
   those markers?

2. Why isn't there (or is there?) a simple way to
   change the "marker insertion types" of an
   existing overlay?

3. Why, if you pass markers to `make-overlay', and
   you don't pass arg BUFFER, isn't the default to
   use the buffer of those markers?

4. Can you retrieve the markers that are "used by"
   an overlay, i.e., as markers?