Re: Emacs project mission (was Re: "If you're still seeing problems, pl

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Emacs project mission (was Re: "If you're still seeing problems, please reopen." [
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2019 12:27:50 +0200

On 21.11.2019 5:06, Richard Stallman wrote:

   > Both true. But I think authentication is an unavoidable burden anyway,
   > at least if we aim to target a larger audience.

Why do we _want_ to "target a larger audience" for bug tracking
in particular.

The larger audience I meant here are the existing users of Emacs. A lot of which avoid reporting bugs to Debbugs. And I know that because I maintain some third-party packages with different issue trackers.

Sure, all else being equal we would prefer to offer more
convenient interfaces.  But is that such an imperative
that we would want to pay a price for it?  I am skeptical.

Is hearing from all our users an imperative? I don't know. But we'd certainly something we'd like to have.