Re: "If you're still seeing problems, please reopen." [Was: bug#25148:]

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: "If you're still seeing problems, please reopen." [Was: bug#25148:]
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2019 17:10:39 +0200

> From: João Távora <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2019 15:00:49 +0000
> Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>, Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden>,
>       emacs-devel <address@hidden>, Richard Stallman <address@hidden>, Dmitry
> Gutov <address@hidden>
>
> > Because then anyone could push code to our main repository, even
> > without having write access, and we don't want to host code we didn't
> > eyeball in advance: it might include stuff we don't want to have
> > anywhere close to Emacs, or to GNU in general.
>
> Right, certainly.  But in the GitLab/GitHub model, there is that
> main repository, which is your duty to protect, and also
> isolated from it, one for each "JR Random Hacker", a _fork_
> (maybe Gitlab calls  it a "clone") that JR can randomly hack
> away in.  That fork lives in the Emacs GitLab instance.  It
> does take some disk space there, but that's pretty much
> it as potentially unwanted impact goes.

I think we are miscommunicating.  Let me ask you: where do you
envision the "Emacs GitLab" will be installed? on what server?

The most appropriate one is Savannah, which will make it be hosted on
the same machine where our upstream repository lives.  And then who's
to say that such branches pushed into our GitLab are not part of
Emacs, like all the scratch branches you and others push now?

> JR's code is never merged  to the main repository without your
> or some developer's explicit approval.  GitLab has a
> sophisticated permissions system that states exactly what an
> owner, a maintainer, a developer and a potential contributor
> can do to the main repository.

That's not the real problem.  The real problem is not to make random
code appear as being part of Emacs, and part of GNU.  they are all on
the GNU Git server, right?

> * everybody can create issues (i.e. bugs) in the main
>    repository
> * everybody can fork the main repository
> * everybody can make pull requests to the main repository.
> * every developer that currently has write access can
>   change and eventually merge the pull requests from
>   everybody else.

You are thinking about technicalities, which are not the main problem
here.