Re: jit-lock-antiblink-grace

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: jit-lock-antiblink-grace
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2019 18:16:49 +0200

> From: João Távora <address@hidden>
> Cc: emacs-devel <address@hidden>,  Stefan Monnier
>  <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2019 01:04:53 +0000
>
> João Távora <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 7:48 AM Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> >> This is encouraging, but please try C-n near the end of xdisp.c, so
> >> that it includes syms_of_xdisp.  The first 350 lines of xdisp.c is one
> >> large comment, and there's a very small number of strings after that.
>
> > 30 seconds from syms_of_xdisp (void) in src/xdisp.c:
> >   with antiblink: 34969, around 7% load measured by Process Explorer
> >   without: 34977, also around 7% load
> >
> Hi Eli,
>
> We seem to have lost track of this, and it's waiting for your input.  I'd
> like this change to make it 27.1.

I was under the impression that you had some issues with Alan, and
didn't realize you were waiting for me.  Sorry.

> If you need to gain more confidence from more benchmarks or a refresher
> on exactly what this change is about, I'm at your disposal.  If you
> think you're OK with the performance aspect, I'll perform the changes to
> the docstrings and NEWS that we had agreed to previously.

Please add/finalize the docs, and let's take it from there.

One thing I see already is that you turned on this feature by default,
but NEWS is worded as if it is off.  Not sure if we had a consensus
regarding the default back then.

Thanks.