Re: The rabbit hole that is HiDPI... (empty menus / bug#31223 et al)

From: Tobias Bading
Subject: Re: The rabbit hole that is HiDPI... (empty menus / bug#31223 et al)
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2019 13:29:32 +0100

On 27.11.19 12:30, Robert Pluim wrote:
>     Tobias> But seriously... what would be the proper way to deal
with HiDPI in
>     Tobias> Emacs? Has anyone done any work on this?
>
> xg_get_scale(). And yes, which is why my hair is turning grey.

Thanks, already found it. No comments on the color of my hair... ;-)

> Yes, if you have scaling in GTK the number of pixels as seen by GTK is
> scaled up or down. Unfortunately too much code in Emacs still works in
> device pixels. Who will rid us of this turbulent mix of X and GTK?

I'm trying to fix the mix.;-)
About to test whether two "req.height *= xg_get_scale (f);" in gtkutil.c
improve things.
(frame-monitor-workarea) is incorrect on my machine, too. Top is half of
what it should be.

> BTW, which distribution and desktop environment is this? Ubuntu xx
> with Gnome?

Ubuntu MATE Eoan.

> PS. You might have more luck with emacs-27 and 'configure
> --with-cairo'

Thanks for the hint. I'll give it a try when I have a patch that fixes
my current problems in 26.3.

Tobias