Re: Some ideas with Emacs

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Some ideas with Emacs
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2019 10:43:19 -0500

>> Second, in developing the Emacs plugins, create a virtual
>> environment, like Python virtualenv, so that we can test the plugin
>> in the virtual environment so that we do not need to affect the
>> configuration outside the virtual environment. That's can implement
>> plugin development environment and configuration isolation.
> I think what you would do is something like "emacs -Q -l myenv.el" and
> then set up the load-path, requires, and whatever else you need in
> myenv.el.

Indeed, currently the only way to do that is by using a separate
Emacs session.  Cask is a tool to automate this.  For some use cases
this is exactly what we need (e.g. testing a package on various
versions of Emacs), but in other use cases it's a pain to have to use
two separate Emacs sessions.

There's definitely room for improvement in this arena.

Juanma adds:
> With reminds me...
> Did someone hear (or attend to) Perry E. Metzger's talk in this years'
> EmacsConf?
> https://media.emacsconf.org/2019/26.html
> And if so, does anyone have any opinion about it?

I presume you're talking about the part where he discusses the future of
Emacs's extension language.  I do have some opinion about that, yes ;-)

        Stefan