Re: Some ideas with Emacs

From: Ag Ibragimov
Subject: Re: Some ideas with Emacs
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2019 18:13:23 -0800

On Fri 06 Dec 2019 at 10:30, Marcin Borkowski <address@hidden> wrote:

On 2019-12-03, at 07:07, Ag Ibragimov <address@hidden> wrote:

Ooohweee, I've lost myself in the weeds of this discussion thread. It seems
writing a book about Emacs Lisp is an arduous task (no shit), writing a
comprehensive manual is not easy either.

So I thought: what if we start a repository, make a pitch through social
platforms, get people interested, and start collecting various elisp recipes.
Then after a while, maybe we could form a curated list. After a few, maybe
several months, we gather enough material to make a book out of that?

"Emacs Lisp Cookbook" or something?

No.

You may indeed prepare a "cookbook", or a wiki this way - but not
a _book_.  A "book" (as opposed to a wiki, a _cookbook_ or a manual) is
something that _tells a story_.

Best,

I agree with that. However, I think "Elisp recipes" or "Elisp cookbook" is
exactly what we need and what's missing.
You see, Emacs Lisp usually is not learned traditional way, you don't sit down with a book that
slowly explains concepts from the elementary to more advanced topics. Also people don't do
emacs-lisp "katas" or "koans". Usually one gets into emacs-lisp when the need
arises for solving a problem. It's not that difficult to find help these days, people are always
happy to help you, we have r/emacs, mailing lists, emacs.stackexchange, various Gitter, Slack and
IRC channels, etc.
But sometimes you don't even know you had a problem, until someone shows you a
solution to it. I think that kind of book, collective community effort would be
awesome to have.

But your point about a book that tells a story is also very valid. It would be absolutely amazing
to have a book written by a single person or small group of co-authors, something titled like
"Joy of Emacs" ("Joy of GNU/Emacs" if you're so pedantic) where it also
describes philosophy of the language, historical context, contemplates about the future of the
language, etc.