Re: master a6b5985: Avoid duplicated character classes in rx

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: master a6b5985: Avoid duplicated character classes in rx
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2019 06:45:46 +0100

On Sat, Dec 7, 2019 at 5:48 AM Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

> What does Common Lisp say about the return value of 'push'?

From the Common Lisp Hyperspec:

Macro PUSH

Syntax:

push item place => new-place-value

Arguments and Values:

item---an object.

place---a place, the value of which may be any object.

new-place-value---a list (the new value of place).

push prepends item to the list that is stored in place, stores the resulting list in place, and returns the list.

> If Common Lisp describes a certain return value for 'push',
> people will tend to use it that way,

Yes, though as I said, it is very rarely used, at least on our sources. 34 uses
out of ~4,100.

There are also a lot like

(and test-1
     test-2
     (push item place))

but don't really depend on the return value of `push', they're just using `and'
as a conditional.

> and I think it would be
> a waste of time changing all code that ever depends on that return value.

At least for our sources, that time's already been wasted, whether we apply my
patch or not.

> It would be easier to document that return value.

I tend to agree, because I don't like gratuitously discarding CL
compatibility.