Re: master ea93326: Add `union' and `intersection' to rx (bug#37849)

From: Mattias Engdegård
Subject: Re: master ea93326: Add `union' and `intersection' to rx (bug#37849)
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2019 20:23:17 +0100

15 dec. 2019 kl. 15.53 skrev Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>:

>> A bit overkill just for matching a set of constant strings, don't you think?
>
> I think there's a lot of implicit assumptions here.
> Yes, there are cases where you may want the "longest match" rule and
> where `posix-string-match` can be too costly, but the ones I can think
> of seem to be fairly contrived.

Perhaps I should have underlined that it is only literal strings that is of
immediate concern, since that is what regexp-opt is used for. It is not a
contrived situation to have a set of strings -- keywords, for instance -- not
necessarily anchored by something else at the end. Unless it is known that no
string is a prefix of another, the longest match is naturally desired.